Integrity is a vital subject in ensuring the success of an individual; it is the virtue that must be acquired for our life to become valuable. It is a man’s greatest asset; Here are some methods on how to build Integrity.
Living a life of discipline is one way to win souls to the Kingdom of God.
When wealth is lost, something tangible is lost, but when character is lost, everything is lost – Billy Graham.
“Character should be considered as one of the greatest assets in the school of success; character will take you where ability can never Bishop Oyedepo.
A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favor rather than silver and golds Proverbs 22:1
What is Integrity?
Integrity is a state of being unimpaired, a state of sound moral principle, upright, honest and sincere. The Hebrew word for integrity is “Tom” which also means “complete or solid.”
It can also be defined as a state of completeness, wholeness, undamaged, and soundness of life. Until sincerity becomes a responsibility, it cannot become a characteristic or your identity. Job 2:3-9 “3 And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feared God, and eschewed evil? And still, he holds fast to his faithfulness, although thou moved me against him, to destroy him without cause. And Satan answered the Lord, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life. But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.
The Lord said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand, but save his life. So went Satan forth from the presence of the Lord, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown. And he took him a potsherd to scrape himself withal, and he sat down among the ashes. Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die.” Integrity is not just an action; it is a lifestyle; it is a walk in obedience Psalms 26:1-11, Proverbs 20:7
Integrity is a deliberate act which demands determination, a valuable attribute and truthfulness
Note the list below will help you achieve a more trusted Valuable Attributes and Integrity?
• Moral standard
• Uprightness in dealing with issues
• The sincerity of the heart
• Living holy; living a dedicated life
What are the fundamentals of integrity?
1. Integrity is living within the confines of moral standard, and ethical principles that are not flexible
2. Integrity commits itself to;
a. Character over personal gain
b. People over things
c. Service, over power
d. Principle over convenience
e. Long views over the immediate (temporary pleasure)
3. Integrity is a thing of the heart and not based on credentials; it is different from reputation.
4. Godliness, which is an integral part of integrity, is not a state of “sinlessness,” but desperation to please God as a lifestyle. 1 Timothy 4:7, Acts 24: 16 “And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void to offense toward God, and toward men.”
5. Integrity is one essential to becoming a leader 1 Kings 9:4 “And if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, in the integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded thee, and wilt keep my statutes and my judgments.”
Proverbs 11:3 “The integrity of the upright shall guide them: but the perverseness of transgressors shall destroy them.”
What are the qualities of integrity?
The level of integrity of a man can be related to the following trait;
• The consistency of character Numbers 23:19
• Honest communication Matthew 5:37, 2 Corinthians 1:17
• Transparency 2 Corinthians 4:2
• Humility 1 Peter 5:5, Matthew 23:12
• Placing others before self Philippians 2:3-4
• Fulfilling Promises; as a parent, fulfilling your promises to your children is one way to earn their respect and it gives them more reason to trust you. Many parents make the mistake of uttering promises to their children without fulfilling them. It is wrong, no matter how “inconsequential” you think the promises are, fulfill them because your children are learning fast. Be their role model, let them believe in you.
• Hearty service
• Discipline 1 Corinthians 6:12, 1 Corinthians 9:25-27
How to cultivate a life of integrity
Integrity is not a gift; it is the deliberate act to stand steadfast. You cannot have it by mere wishing it; you have to cultivate it.
1. You must be dead to self Romans 8:13
2. Be a man or woman of purpose Dan 1:8
3. Keep the right company Proverbs 13:20
4. Set scriptural standards
Integrity and Conscience
Conscience is simply defined as the moral being within your human being; you cannot build integrity without having a good and pure conscience. There is a correlation between a man’s conscience and its integrity (character).
A strong character is a function of a good conscience; your conscience is your God ordained police officer. So the healthier your conscience, the brighter your destiny Genesis 39:9 “There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back anything from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness and sin against God?” Joseph lived a life of integrity, no wonder his destiny was an enviable one.
To become a person of sound dedication, you need to maintain a healthy and a sanctified conscience. Acts 24:16 “And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void to offense toward God, and toward men.”
How to maintain a healthy conscience
1. The Word of God: you need to feed your conscience with the Word of God consistently. Psalms 119:9-11 “ Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy word. With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. Thy word have I hidden in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.”
2. The Spirit of God; The Spirit can help us purge every sinful trait in us according to 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 “9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicator, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor attackers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.”
3. The Blood of Jesus Christ Hebrews 9:14 “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?”
What are the benefits of Integrity?
• It earns trust, Integrity cannot be acquired but earned.
• It delivers you from trouble Dan 6:22 “My God hath sent his angel, and hath shut the lions’ mouths, that they have not hurt me: forasmuch as before him innocency was found in me; and also before thee, O king, have I done no hurt.”
• It brings peace Isaiah 32:17-18 “And the work of righteousness shall be peace, and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever. 18 And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, in dwellings, and in quiet resting places
• It ensures divine favor Psalms 5:12
• It brings divine health John 5:1-8, Isaiah 38:1-5
• It empowers you for exploits Genesis 39:9, Job:1-3
• It enhances access to ever increase auction Ecclesiastes 9:8 Psalms 45:6-8
• It empowers access to revelation Psalms 25:14, Proverbs 1:23, Revelation 22:15
• It is the gateway to generational posterity Malachi 3:1-5, Psalms 112:1-3
• It guarantees boldness Proverbs 28:1, Acts 14:3
The areas of integrity?
As Christians, living a life of integrity is not subjected to the church only; we have to prove our decency in all areas of our lives including; business and relationships.
Business: Job 1:1-3 “There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil. And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters. His substance also was seven thousand sheep and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east.”
Ministry: The credibility of a pastor in the eyes of his members and the outside community is more valuable than his preaching. 1 Samuel 9:6 “And he said unto him, Behold now, there is in this city a man of God, and he is an honorable man; all that he saith comes to pass: now let us go thither; peradventure he can shew us our way that we should go.” Every minister must show integrity in rendering service, utterance, in being accountable, in morals, in humility. 1 Timothy 4:12 “Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in words, in conversation, in charity, spirit, faith, and purity.”
Family: family success is more important to a man of integrity than public success Ephesians 5:25 “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved the church, and gave himself for it.”
Psalms 112:1-8 “Praise ye the Lord. Blessed is the man who feared the Lord, that delighted greatly in his commandments. His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the upright shall be blessed. Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endures for ever. Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness: he is gracious and full of compassion, and righteous. A good man showed favor, and lendeth: he will guide his affairs with discretion. Surely he shall not be moved for ever: the righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance. He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord. His heart is established, he shall not be afraid, until he sees his desire upon his enemies.”
Leadership: as a leader with integrity, do not take advantage of the “led.” Do not be a ruler leader, but be a servant leader. Ephesians 6:8-9, 1 Peter 5:3, Psalms 78:72
How to manage prosecution in the pursuit of integrity
The pursuit of righteousness comes at a high cost and only those who are strong and willing to pay the price will be able to withstand persecution or adversity that comes with integrity.
To be honorable will attract rivalry, and envy; Jeremiah 1:11-19, 1 Samuel 17:28, Genesis 37:11, 20-21
So how do you manage the persecution?
• Consider God’s opinion, it’s the only that should matter in your life 2 Corinthians 9:18
• Whatever negative name you are called, make it a point of duty to prove them wrong.
• Do not fight back, let God avenge you. Romans 12:19
• Do not give room for bitterness, Hebrews 12:14-15
• Take heed to yourself, 1 Peter 5:8
• Do not look back, 2 Corinthians 10:12
• Practice love towards your enemies
• Don’t be afraid, Isaiah 8:9-14
This teaching will help you live a life of integrity, whenever you feel discouraged, ask for help, the Holy Spirit will guide and empower you. If you are a parent, ensure to teach your children the importance of ethical principle.