How to Encourage Yourself in the Lord, and keep the Faith
At different points in our lives, we encounter situations that seem bigger than us. Most often than not, we are weighed by these situations that it begins to affect every facet of our lives. Sometimes even, it escalates into depression and we start to ask questions that put our faith to test.
But in all of our downtime as Christians, we realize that there’s something that holds us together and keeps urging us on. Trying to figure what it gives us more strength to hold on; to never give up. Many of us have been there. It is nothing but hope; hope in Christ Jesus.
One may wonder why Christians face difficulty. Before I encountered Christ, I felt that once I give it all to Jesus, I would not face trials nor temptations. But the reality set in. He never said they won’t be persecutions, neither did he say there won’t be trials. What he said was that He would be with us always. Mathew 28:20b KJV says it all “… and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world, AMEN.”
Dearly beloved, what shall separate us from the Love of God. Is it trials or persecutions?
Are you downtrodden and feel there’s no hope, say to yourself “What shall separate me from the love of God” Is there a thing you’ve been trusting God for and it seems like it won’t come, again I say “what shall separate me from the love of God” Jeremiah 29:11 KJV For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.” Encourage Yourself in the Lord, dear brethren, for everything is working out for your good.
Let this verse speak to your heart. Romans 8:32 “He that spared not his own son, but delivered him to us all, how shall he not with him freely give us all things.”
How Can One be Encouraged in The Lord?
1. Trust Him to bring to Pass all He has Said: There is no hope without trust. It is to this extent that you must trust him totally. There’s a certain hope that springs deep within you once you solely leave it at the feet of Jesus. Trust that He is faithful enough to bring you to a glorious end. Romans 10:11 “For the scripture saith whoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.” Trust that he will not let you down, that he won’t put you to shame. This is the first step to be encouraged in the Lord.
2. Immerse Yourself Daily in the Word of God: Romans 10:17 “So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing of the word of God.” The word of God has everything we ever need to prevail. But it takes studying of the word to know this. Study God’s word daily. Feed your fears on His word and watch those fears either.
3. Confess Rightly: Your confession is your possession. You cannot tell a mountain to move from here to there and then it obeys when you don’t talk like you truly have the power to. As Christians, what we profess is in line with what we possess. Profess faith and hope day in and out. Refuse to speak negativity. For it was the negativity of the remaining ten spies in the time of Joshua that cut short all they had laboured for. And God affirmed the words of their mouth by saying “”As ye have spoken in my ears so shall I do unto you.” Only Joshua and Caleb were spared because they spoke what the other ten did not. I urge you dearly beloved, refuse to speak doubts because God is listening. Refuse to speak doubts because by your words is your spirit awakened to the things of light. Strive to remain positive always. When people say there is a casting down declare that there is a lifting up. Say to that storm that you shall rise above it and it will give way. Stay positive, speak positive.
4. Read Christian Literature: knowing that one is not passing through a phase alone is lifting. Many Christians who have at some point felt discouraged have penned down how they were able to scale through. Search for these books either online or in bookstores and impact your spirit. Encouragement comes by hearing, reading and feeding your spirit with the right knowledge.
5. Listen to Gospel Songs: Music is therapeutic. Listen to gospel songs and let them speak to you. Sing hymns, sing worship songs, sing songs that lifts up the spirit. Sing songs of hope.
6. Never Forsake the Gathering of Brethren: Never be discouraged from attending church services because of a challenge. When we’re sick, we run to the hospital believing that we’ll find help there. The church is to be seen in that light. When brethren lifts their voices in one accord and pray, mighty things happen. Yokes are broken, spirits are lifted, hope is renewed, strength is released in abundance.
7. Forget Not Your Testimony: David was able to prevail because he understood that the same God who did it before is potent enough to do it again. He never forgot his testimonies. The only assurance he had was that he had defeated the lion and the bear that came to attack the sheep he was tending to. That was all he needed to have sufficient strength to face Goliath. How can you forget how he’s done the impossible and taken you to heights you never envisaged. Forget not his many blessings; for he daily loads us with benefits. Encourage yourself in this light ye beloved of God. Romans 8:5 “And hope maketh not ashamed, because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given to us.”
So we have been greatly encouraged in the midst of our troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. 1 Thessalonians 3:7
ENCOURAGE YOURSELF: When problems arise, people make the mistake of running from God instead of running to him. You cannot fix you. In all things dearly beloved, do not forget all of God’s help in ages past. Forget not the miracles he has done for you in time past. Encourage yourself to him for he is too faithful to fail and above all, forget not that he loves you so dearly. May His joy, peace, and hope abide in you always. God bless you.